Saturday, December 30, 2006

If you choose education...

Like I have, then you would be ignorant to not do a dual degree program. The JD/MBA programs are offered at all the schools that have a business and a law school. This option gives you much more flexibility both in your studies and in your fall back job options should you not have what it takes to become an agent. A dual degree is not something that will be easy. It may even require more time devoted to school but the length of time it takes to attend school won't be extended. You can finish a dual MBA/JD in 2-3 years the same amount of time it would take to do just one.
Even though I am starting my sports agent plan 3 years before school is over I am also starting my backup plan. Currently I work for a Hospital consulting firm. With 3 years experience at this firm while attending school I will be all but assured a top executive job at a hospital when I graduate. The hospital industry use to exclusively only hire graduates with a masters in health care administration. That approach proved to be extremely flawed. As I see on a daily basis the majority of the health care industry is so screwed up management wise that the turnover on top positions is 25% a year. Hospitals are now looking for management with more of a business background. A CFO or CEO at a hospital starts at about 150k for smaller hospitals and scales up to 1.5mil for the larger institutions.
It is very important that you don't go into the sports agent business without a backup plan, as is the case with any job. Just because you have a backup plan doesn't mean your giving up on your dream. I just means you have the mental capacity to understand that some people aren't made for certain jobs/industries.
I have made a list of the top 50 law schools and Business schools in the country. http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=pqEK1iAf88wqyAsjfp-fsOQ

No comments: